Sunday, November 1, 2015

All the Single Travellers

Being a single traveller is really cool.

No, I don't mean "single" as Beyoncé means it, I mean a lone vagabond: someone who's hopping from place to place without any ties to their normal life in the country they reside.

When you're travelling alone you can be whoever you want. You don't have to be "Claire the 20-year-old Canadian" anymore, and it's really fun. I've been "Claire the engaged 18-year-old," "Claire the professional sculptor," and "Klaara the Finnish girl running away from home."

No, I'm not becoming a chronic liar. No, I'm not harming anyone with my lies. These are people at the supermarket I will never meet again, or random travellers I encounter in a line-up for a tourist attraction. I love telling stories, as you may have figured out, and sometimes I make up characters and pretend to be them. It's just an entertaining pastime.

I love being able to be whoever I want. I can create another version of myself, like trying on new clothes. I can make myself into whoever I want, and I am treated differently in the process. I am completely judged by what I've done in the past - or at least say I've done. It doesn't matter who I am now, the events of my past have made me who I am and others will formulate what kind of person I am based on that.

Sorry, that was really random. I just had a thought, wrote it out, and figured I'd share it with you.

I'm writing another real blog post, and will hopefully have it up in a few days.

~Melissa, the 26-year-old lighting technician from Wisconsin

No comments:

Post a Comment