Friday, November 27, 2015

In the Land of Kilts and Haggis

Oh right, I have a blog. Oops!

So today is my 18th day in Scotland (whoa) and it's been a blast! There have been major ups and downs - literally and figuratively! I had some huge mountains to climb, both in the land of my ancestors and in the land of Claire-Needs-To-Find-A-Place-To-Live-Or-She'll-Be-Sleeping-In-A-Random-Lecture-Hall. Thankfully, I conquered both of those mountain ranges. It was not without the occasional tear and scream of anger, but there were also moments of smiles and literal bursts of joyous laughter (more on the outdoor adventure side). If you've never climbed a mountain, gotten to the top, and been so fricken happy you laughed out loud...
I don't know, I can't really criticize everyone's life, every person has different values. But I find those moments some of the most important in my life, and certainly in this little pilgrimage of mine.

I have seen some of the most beautiful sights in this country, some of these views can be found in this little album here.

Here's a quick page from the Great Big Book of Scottish Colloquialisms:

path noun 1. The smaller of two rivers; take the path that turns up and curves to the right. 2. A swamp; the path runs between two mountains.

This is the most accurate way than I can explain hiking in Scotland to you without dumping a bucket of water into your sock drawer. My tips for future travelers would be...

1. STAY ON THE PATH no just kidding it's a fricken river.
2. KEEP OFF THE PATH no don't cause it's literally a lake.
3. Just buy Gaters.

I am a cheap little crab-cake so I only alternated between points one and two. I've politely asked the family of minnows to leave my shoes but my gosh they are not accommodating at all. Oh well.

On a more cultural note, I am so thankful for the years of training in Scottish accents I received being in a pipe band and being raised by a Scottish-culture-embracing mother. I have frequently been the translator between a local Scot and some poor foreigner whose ear is not tuned to the particular nuances of their slurred, guttural growl.
I am exaggerating, but I serisouly have had to translate a couple times.

Joking aside, it's been a sort of spiritual experience being in Scotland. As I said before, I was raised pretty darn Scottish; I play the Celtic harp, I Highland dance, and I was practically raised with the help of my mom's pipe band. Though I complain frequently about the sacks of wind - as every side drummer does - I have an unavoidable habbit of running towards the sound of bagpipes rather than away. When you're raised in something that's not very common in your country you tend to gravitate towards it, seeking a connection to that large piece of your life.
It's hard to explain, but I would maybe relate it to seeing someone wearing the t-shirt of your favorite band. Only imagine that band was played at least twice a week when you were a kid and literally enveloped your life. You were trained in the ways of that band since birth, learned all about it, were a descendent of the band's founding members, and one day joined a cover band of said band.
That makes no sense, but that's pretty much how I feel.

Okay, let's take the intensity down a little and talk about my favorite part of Scotland: the Isle of Skye!
I haven't been anywhere in Scotland that I haven't liked, and some places have been so amazing. I have at least 200 photos of the Glenfinnan Viaduct (that bridge the Harry Potter train goes over for the scenic shots) and I giggled the whole time I was there in pure nerdy joy (check out a video of me butchering the Harry Potter theme song). Even considering this, the Isle of Skye still takes the cake.
The Isle of Skye is very small population wise - 10000 on the whole island - and it gives off a small town feel. Everyone there is overwhelmingly friendly and kind to counter balance the sometimes unforgiving landscape.
Because Skye is so small, public transport is virtually nonexistent. I ended up having to do something I've never done before: hitch hiking. Sorry dad, I know I said I wouldn't, but literally all the travellers and locals I talked to said you have to hitch if you want to get anywhere and don't have a car. Obviously, I survived, and I ended up having way more fun than I would have alone!
I'd had my thumb to the sky for about 20 minutes when I was picked up by the funniest Germans I've ever met. They ended up driving me all around the Isle, taking roads we probably shouldn't have and having staring contests with cows. We chased sheep, climbed unreasonably steep hills, and almost attended a craft fair. I had a blast with them and would highly recommend hitch hiking if you ever find yourself on the Isle of Skye; you meet the coolest people.

I just arrived in St Andrews today for the St Andrew's Day festival! St Andrew's in St Andrews? Count me in :D
I make no promises on blog posts until the very end of my trip. I want to enjoy every last piece of this haggis- I mean country.


Claire out »»»»

No comments:

Post a Comment